Neck Pain Treatment
At Brisbane West Osteopathy, we understand the debilitating effects of neck pain and are dedicated to providing effective treatments to help you find relief. Our experienced team of osteopaths have a special interest in neck pain treatment, addressing the underlying causes to alleviate discomfort and improve your quality of life.
Causes and Symptoms
Neck pain can be caused by various factors, including muscle strain, poor posture, injuries, degenerative conditions, and more. Identifying the root cause is essential for developing a tailored treatment plan. Common symptoms of neck pain include:
- Persistent neck pain that may radiate to the shoulders and arms.
- Neck stiffness and reduced range of motion.
- Tension and tightness in the neck muscles.
- Headaches and migraines triggered by neck movements or muscle tension.
Understanding the symptoms associated with neck pain is crucial for accurate diagnosis and treatment. Common neck pain symptoms include localised pain, radiating pain to the shoulders and arms, muscle tightness, headaches, and restricted neck movement.
Neck pain can have several causes, ranging from muscle strains and ligament sprains to degenerative conditions like osteoarthritis. Poor posture, whiplash injuries, and stress can also contribute to neck pain. By identifying the specific causes of your neck pain, we can tailor our treatment approach to address them directly, ensuring optimal results.
We have a particular interest in treating chronic neck pain and long standing injuries. One of the differences with our approach is we will look at you holistically.
The biomechanics of the pelvis have a significant effect on the rest of the spine. Your body aims to keep your eyes level and facing forward. The pelvis is like the foundation of a building, if it is not level, the rest of the spine will compensate to keep your eyes level.
Frequently we see patients who have chronic neck pain, despite numerous previous treatments. Often the treatment they have received may have treated the neck well but not addressed the unlying issues, such the strain pattern through the pelvis. The goal of our approach is to access you as a whole, to treat the cause of the problem and obtain lasting relief.
Neck Stiffness and Reduced Range of Motion
One of the common symptoms accompanying neck pain is neck stiffness. Neck stiffness can make it difficult to turn your head or perform basic movements. Our osteopathic treatments focus on releasing tension in the neck muscles, restoring flexibility, and improving range of motion to alleviate neck stiffness effectively.
Spinal Cord and Nerve Pain
The spinal cord plays a vital role in transmitting signals between the brain and the body. When neck pain affects the cervical spine, the delicate nerve roots can become compressed or irritated, leading to nerve pain. Our comprehensive approach to neck pain treatment addresses both the source of the pain and any potential nerve involvement to provide optimal relief.
Cervical Spine and Neck Injuries
The cervical spine, comprising the seven vertebrae in the neck region, is susceptible to injuries due to its mobility and the weight it supports. Neck injuries, such as sprains, strains, or herniated discs, can cause intense pain and stiffness. Our team has a special interest in treating various neck injuries, providing individualised care to promote healing and restore proper function.
We find disc problems can respond well to conservative osteopathic treatment. However, they generally take longer to resolve than simple joint and muscle problems. If you’re diagnosed with a disc problem, please allow at least six weeks from first treatment with us, to see a significant improvement. We find many patients are relatively pain free after 6 weeks while others can take up to 3 months of treatment before they feel 90%+ improved.
Not everyone with disc problems will achieve their desired result with osteopathic treatment. Some patients unfortunately require surgical intervention. We always seek the best outcome for our patients and will advise you if we judge you require surgery. However, our goal is for you to avoid surgery wherever practical.
Pinched Nerve and Nerve Pain
A pinched nerve in the neck occurs when surrounding tissues, normally either a disc bulge or bone spur, compress or irritate a nerve root, leading to radiating pain, tingling, or numbness. Our comprehensive treatment approach targets the underlying cause of the pinched nerve, with the goal of relieving pressure and reducing nerve pain.
Muscle pain in the neck is a common cause of discomfort. Our treatments include a range of techniques including; gentle manual techniques and manipulation that alleviate muscle tension and spasms, promoting relaxation and reducing muscle pain.
Diagnosing and Treating Neck Pain
Our experienced osteopaths use a combination of physical examinations, medical history assessments, and, if needed, diagnostic imaging to accurately diagnose the causes of your neck pain. Once diagnosed, we develop a customised treatment plan that addresses the root cause of your pain, aiming for long-term relief and improved functionality.
Serious Injuries and Persistent Pain
Serious neck injuries, such as fractures or dislocations, can cause severe pain and require immediate medical attention. If you have been involved in an accident or sustained a significant neck injury, we advise seeking prompt medical evaluation. Due to the very gentle nature of some of our osteopathic techniques our osteopathic treatments can assist in reducing pain and supporting the healing process, as soon as an injury has occurred.
Effective Neck Pain Treatments
Our team at Brisbane West Osteopathy utilises a holistic approach to neck pain treatment, aiming to relieve pain, restore functionality, and prevent future recurrences. Here are some of the treatments we offer:
- Osteopathic Manipulative Therapy: Our osteopaths employ gentle techniques and in some cases manipulation, to assess and treat the underlying musculoskeletal imbalances contributing to your neck pain. In children, babies and elderly patients we only use very gentle techniques. By restoring proper alignment and function, we help relieve pain and enhance your body’s self-healing abilities.
- Soft Tissue Massage: Our skilled therapists target the neck muscles to alleviate tension, reduce muscle spasms, and enhance blood circulation. Massage therapy can provide immediate relief and promote long-term healing.
- Stretching and Strengthening Exercises: We prescribe specific exercises to stretch and strengthen the neck muscles, improving flexibility and stability. These exercises help reduce strain, enhance posture, and prevent future neck pain episodes.
- Postural Correction: Poor posture is a common cause of neck pain. Our team provides guidance on ergonomic adjustments and postural awareness to help you maintain a healthy spine alignment and prevent further discomfort.
Preventing Neck Pain
Prevention is key to maintaining a healthy neck and preventing recurrent pain. Here are some tips to help you prevent neck pain:
- Maintain good posture throughout the day, especially when sitting or working at a desk.
- Take frequent breaks from prolonged sitting or repetitive activities that strain the neck muscles.
- Incorporate regular stretching and strengthening exercises for the neck and upper body.
- Use proper ergonomics, including an ergonomic chair and an adjustable desk setup.
- Avoid carrying heavy bags or backpacks that strain the neck and shoulder muscles.
When to Seek Treatment
At Brisbane West Osteopathy, our primary goal is to relieve neck pain and improve your overall well-being. Our skilled osteopaths and therapists work together to develop personalised treatment plans, combining various techniques such as manual therapy, exercise, and modalities to target the root cause of your neck pain and alleviate your discomfort effectively.
Our osteopaths can evaluate your condition, provide an accurate diagnosis, and develop an individualised treatment plan tailored to your needs.
Don’t let neck pain limit your daily activities. Contact Brisbane West Osteopath today to schedule a consultation and take the first step toward finding effective neck pain relief.