Back Pain Treatment
Upper back pain can be a distressing condition that affects the area between the base of the neck and the bottom of the rib cage. It may cause discomfort, stiffness, or pain in the upper back region, impacting daily activities and overall quality of life. Understanding the causes, identifying symptoms, and seeking appropriate treatment is crucial for finding relief and improving upper back health.
Upper Back Pain Symptoms
Upper back pain can be a symptom of various underlying conditions and factors. It is commonly associated with muscle strain due to overuse, poor posture, or injury.
Additionally, issues with the thoracic spine, such as herniated discs or osteoarthritis, can contribute to upper back pain. Identifying the specific cause is important in determining the most effective treatment approach.
When to Seek Medical Attention
While most cases of upper back pain are not serious, there are red flags that warrant medical evaluation. If you experience any of the following alongside your upper back pain, it is advisable to seek prompt medical attention:
- Severe and persistent pain that does not improve with rest or self-care measures.
- Numbness, tingling, or weakness in the arms or legs.
- Difficulty with bowel or bladder control.
- Unexplained weight loss.
- Poor Posture
- Fever or chills.
- History of trauma or injury to the upper back.
When Should I Worry about Upper Back Pain
Determining when to worry about upper back pain depends on the severity and accompanying symptoms. If your pain is sudden, intense, or significantly impairs your daily activities, it is recommended to consult a healthcare professional.
Additionally, if your pain is associated with any red flags, as mentioned earlier, seeking medical attention is crucial. Early evaluation and intervention can prevent potential complications and ensure appropriate treatment.
Improving Sleep to Alleviate Upper Back Pain
Proper sleep positioning can also contribute to upper back pain relief. To optimise sleep and reduce discomfort, consider the following tips:
- Use a supportive pillow that maintains the natural curve of your neck and aligns your spine.
- Sleep on your back or side with a pillow between your knees to promote proper spinal alignment.
- Ensure your mattress provides adequate support for your upper back and spine.
By combining appropriate treatment, lifestyle modifications, and healthy sleep habits, it is possible to find relief from upper back pain and improve overall well-being.
Consulting with a healthcare professional or specialist can provide personalised guidance and tailored treatment options to address the specific needs of your upper back pain.
What We Do Differently
Our osteopaths use a custom system called the Osteo Diagnostic Platform (ODP). It was originally developed by Dr Enevoldsen after years of research and observation. ODP assesses and treats the muscles of the neck and pelvis differently from other diagnostic techniques.
Our clinical experience has shown us the importance of diagnosing and treating dysfunction in the pelvis for long-term relief from chronic upper back and neck pain. Think of the pelvis as the foundation of a building. If your pelvis is not functioning properly, then the spine above has to adapt, resulting in dysfunction.
Muscle/Joint Pain Relation
The majority of patients we see with chronic upper back pain have simple muscle and joint problems. Many have experienced chronic pain for years, even decades and by the time they reach us, they are often extremely frustrated.
That’s because they can FEEL the problem, but standard medical tests don’t always indicate what the problem is.
MRI, CT scans and X-rays simply aren’t designed to detect biomechanical dysfunctionality in muscles and joints. For us, however, detecting these types of dysfunctionalities is one of our chief goals.
That’s why for neck and back pain treatment Brisbane, we recommend you see us.
Upper Back Pain Treatment Brisbane
We provide a tailor-made treatment plan for each patient, based on:
- A diagnosis of the underlying cause of your pain. We only provide a diagnosis once we’ve conducted a thorough examination. We will also question you to find out exactly what type of pain you are experiencing. For example is it a widespread ache, muscle spasm or sharp, localised pain?
- Your medical history. If you’ve had problems with other types of back pain in the past, please let us know the full details. This can help us determine the best treatment approach.
- Your age and physical health – we only use very gentle techniques on children, babies and elderly people. We work with each patient to deploy the most suitable techniques based on their age and physical condition. We can also suggest strengthening exercises to help you build up supporting muscles.
At Brisbane West Osteopathy we aim to diagnose the underlying cause of your pain so we can offer you the most effective treatment. Our goal for each patient? Pain relief that lasts, so you can get on with what’s important.
For effective neck and back pain treatment Brisbane contact us today.