Sports Injury Treatment Brisbane
At Brisbane West Osteopathy we treat many types of common sports injuries, so you can get back to doing what you love.
Our immediate goal is to relieve pain and reduce swelling. However, we also aim to help you avoid aggravating or repeating the injury. This often means identifying the underlying cause of your pain. Many practitioners will only treat the site of your pain. However, we use a custom diagnostic and treatment platform (called ODP) to identify any structural and biomechanical issues which may have contributed to your injury.
For injury treatment Brisbane, contact us today
What Injuries Can We Help You With?
We’ve treated any number of weekend warriors as well as Olympic gold medalists. If you cycle, swim, play AFL, soccer, netball, basketball or pretty much any sport, we may be able to help. Many of our patients see us for soft tissue injuries (tendon, ligament, muscle and synovium injuries). This includes the likes of:
- Ankle Sprains (and sprains and strains of all kinds)
- Achilles Tendon Injuries
- ACL Injuries
- Hamstring and Calf Strains
- Meniscus (Knee) Tears
- Plantar Fasciitis (inflammation of tissue in the heel)
- Corked Thigh
- Shin Splints
- Compartment Syndrome of the Shin
We have a special interest in tendinopathies. Indeed, our osteopaths have undertaken advanced training in this field to provide you with the best medical advice and treatment. Tendinopathy injuries include plantar fasciitis, runner’s knee and tennis elbow as well as injuries to tendons in the hips and shoulders etc.
We also treat patients with herniated or bulging discs. And we help rehabilitate patients post-fracture.
We have a special interest in working with cycling injuries. Cycling is a symmetrical activity, i.e. you should be working both sides of your body equally. Are you a cyclist experiencing pain or discomfort on one side of your body? This indicates an underlying biomechanical asymmetry, which we can treat.
Our osteopaths work with some of the leading bike fit professsionals in southeast QLD to maximise function and minimise pain for cyclists. We do this by identifying and treating the underlying cause of your pain/misalignment. We have treated competitive cyclists who’ve been ready to give up riding, because of chronic pain. They’ve often seen numerous other practitioners before contacting us, without receiving effective treatment. These cyclists have responded dramatically to our diagnostic and treatment approach, enabling them to get back to riding again, without pain.
Causes of Sports Injuries
Sports injuries have many causes but generally fall into three categories:
- Trauma – Contact sports or sports involving high speed have the biggest risk of traumatic injuries. This includes injuries like whiplash, concussion, falls (these are especially common for cyclists) sprained ankles and fractures/dislocations (often from bad rugby tackles).
- Repetitive Strain – The repetition of a particular movement over and over again can result in injuries like runner’s knee, shin splints, tennis elbow and Achilles tendonitis.
- Training Errors – we often see patients who’ve stepped up a new training routine too fast, too soon, or who have trained with poor form or technique. This puts excessive strain on skeletal and muscular systems. This is because many people don’t realise that muscles become stronger after two weeks. However, tendons, ligaments and bones take TWO MONTHS to become stronger. Increasing activity too quickly, therefore, overloads tendons and bones and can lead to tendinopathies and stress fractures.
Injury Treatment Brisbane
We treat you wherever you’re at with your injury, whether newly sustained or months old. Many patients who come to see us have tried other treatments without success. Others experience recurrent injuries or struggle with chronic never-quite-healed injuries. If you present with chronic or recurring injuries, to us this is a red flag. This is because it indicates an underlying issue with your biomechanics. Once we diagnose the issue, we can treat you effectively. If you are looking for sports injury treatment in Brisbane, we are here to help.
What We do Differently
Our osteopaths use a diagnostic and treatment platform called Osteo Diagnostic Platform (ODP). We use ODP because it helps us to diagnose and treat the root cause of your biomechanical dysfunction. It does this by assessing key areas like the pelvis, neck and ankles differently from other diagnostic tools.
Often the muscle or joint that feels painful isn’t the actual cause of your problem. For instance, if you decided to hop all the way to work on one leg, you might arrive with pain in your ankle, knee or hip. However, there’s probably nothing wrong with any of these joints! Instead, your pain is a SYMPTOM of biomechanical misalignment. The way your whole body is moving is creating referred pain. We work to treat the CAUSE of your pain (you need to stop hopping) rather than the symptom (your ankle hurts).
Book online for injury treatment Brisbane.