Frequently Ask Questions
Can You Help with My Condition?
Many people are surprised to learn that osteopaths treat more than spinal problems. In fact, if your condition relates to ANY COMPONENT OF YOUR MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM, we may be able to help you.
- Lower back pain and sciatica
- Upper back and neck pain
- Headaches and migraines (we may be able to help with many types of headaches but not all)
- Whiplash (including side effects like blurred vision and dizziness)
- Sports injuries including tendinopathies
- Tongue tie (the musculoskeletal elements associated with the face and neck)
- Pelvic pain and PGP
- Hip pain like trochanteric bursitis
- Knee/foot pain including plantar fasciitis
- Jaw/temporomandibular joint disorders
- Shoulder pain including bursitis, tendinopathies, and ‘frozen shoulder’
- Elbow/wrist pain including tennis and golfer’s elbow
- Neuropathic pain
What is the Consult Fee?
Your initial consultation will cost $111. The fee for any follow-up consultations is $106.
Can I Claim through My Health Fund?
If you have Extras cover with your private health fund, you’ll likely be entitled to a rebate for part of the cost of your treatment. To find out the amount covered, contact your fund before your first consult.
- The code for an initial consult is 1804
- The code for a return consult is 1802.
We will process your private health fund claim when you pay for your consult.
Medicare Enhanced Primary Care/Chronic Disease Management Plans will cover a portion of the consult fee (approximately $55 per treatment) for up to 5 treatments in a calendar year.
How do I Prepare for My First Consult?
There are a couple of things you can do to make your first consult as easy as possible:
- Bring along any X-rays, scans and previous tests you’ve had that relate to your ailment.
- Dress for comfort. Patients often prefer to wear shorts or active-wear during their examination and treatment. We provide fresh, open-backed treatment gowns for each patient.
- You will receive an email with a link to complete the new patient forms online. Please arrive 5 minutes early to complete the consent form. Check your junk folder if you don’t receive an email from us after booking. If you would prefer to fill out your forms in person, please arrive 10 minutes early for your first consult.
What Can I Expect at My First Consult?
Your osteopath will take a case history relating to your presenting complaint and your past medical history. Following this, you will be asked to change into an open-backed treatment gown so you can be examined.
Your osteopath will perform a series of orthopaedic tests and neurological examinations as required. They will then thoroughly examine your posture and alignment. They do this because pain in one area can be caused by an alignment issue in another area. For example, an issue with your spine may actually be causing your shoulder pain. Following this, your osteopath will examine the site of your pain or discomfort.
After your examination, your osteopath will provide you with a diagnosis and recommend a treatment plan. They will provide you with options for different techniques to suit your personal preference. Some patients prefer a firmer approach, whereas other patients opt for only very gentle techniques. Our osteopaths have years of experience administering all osteopathic techniques and can tailor the treatment to suit your preferences. Your initial treatment will then be performed as part of your first consult.
How Long Will My Appointment Be?
Standard consult times are 30 minutes; however, we will allow more time with a patient if and when required. We factor extra time into our appointment scheduling to ensure we keep delays to a bare minimum. Our patients rarely experience delays to their appointments beyond a couple of minutes.
How Many Consults Will I Need?
We aim for prompt resolution of your problem so you don’t require onerous, ongoing treatment. On average, this means 3-5 treatment sessions. Some patients may only need two treatments, others will require more and some patients find they benefit from ongoing maintenance treatment.
What Ages Do You Treat?
We treat patients of ALL ages including babies and young children. Our osteopaths only use VERY GENTLE techniques on elderly patients, children and babies.
What Can My Child/Baby Expect from Treatment?
We treat children fully dressed and we request that a parent or guardian be present at each consult. We only use VERY GENTLE techniques on children and babies.
Do I Need a Referral?
Osteopaths are registered as Primary Care Practitioners with AHPRA, therefore you don’t need a referral. The exception to this is if your treatment will be under a Medicare Plan, through WorkCover or a motor vehicle third party insurance claim. In these cases, your GP will need to provide you with a referral.